Thursday, 3 July 2014





SILENT DEATH



I always envisage her inerasable memories in my life. This is one way that life proofed itself that it’s short. I ceased fearing death because eventually all of us will have to die. It is the only way to get out of this world anyway! I feared anything which could happen to me without my knowledge. However, I faced my fear but I still fear dying in a painful way. I would like to die in a peaceful way in good old age.  That is my wish to death. I am also hoping that you too would enjoy dying in a peaceful way.
Once I had a friend. A friend I cared much about. She was a friend who fixed me whenever I needed warm fixing from her. She was an angel on earth. We thought that we would not meet again after we had cleared our Kenya Secondary School exams. On the contrary, fate had its kind magic on us, this time. We enjoyed making people think that we had a perfect life together whilst that was not the case. We would spend most of our time sharing secrets and enjoying each other’s company, until death snatched her away from me.
It all began when she complained of a severe migraine. She took some painkillers and spent the day sleeping then woke up feeling better the following day. Later during the week she saw a doctor who prescribed to her spectacles as she was shortsighted. Lydia found it awkward how she had to wear spectacles all of a sudden. This news saddened her but she did imagine the migraine must have been a result of the shortsightness. Eventually, she felt better about her recovering health.
Two weeks later, she woke up very ill that her sister rushed to hospital. She had gone silent on me that day as she would not even speak. I had tried calling her but she was not accessible. In the hospital her sister told Jessie and Brigit  her friends in college to come see her during evening hours as she had to leave urgently and didn’t want to leave her under the care of no one. On arrival, Lucy, Lydia’s sister sat desperately on the hospital bed.
“Was Lydia having surgery?” amazed Brigit asked.
Lucy had been crying all along shaking her head. She would not explain anything. They walked towards the hospital field and sat in one corner. Lucy was confused on how to break the news to everyone. She had said she would take care of her younger sister. Her sister’s death had broken her heart. She had died while in her sleep. She died in her arms. She had to put herself together and tell the bad news.
I was seated in the matatu on my way back home. I logged in to my face book page  where I received the news from.
“Rest in peace Lydia.” Read the message.
I was in disbelief. I had to call Brigit and hear what really happened as she was the bearer of the news. She explained everything. I would not belief life was such a short yet a long journey. She didn’t fight back death. She just died. She had succumbed to Meningitis. All along this ailment had taken the good part of her wasting her body away to death.


No comments:

Post a Comment